Joseph A. Johnson
235 W. Van Buren #3421
Chicago, IL 60607
- IT Strategy
- Team Leadership
- Solutions Design
- Project Management
- Systems Analysis
- Requirements Management
- Disaster Recovery
- Business Continuity
- Enterprise Architectures
- Multi-Site Implementations
- Vendor Management
- Crisis Management
- Budget Administration
- Business Process Reengineering
- PCI Compliance
- SAS 70
- SSAE-16 SOC1/SOC2
- Systems Engineering
- Windows Architecture
- ERP Implementations
- Windows Server Management
- Cisco Network Administration
- Datacenter Management
Microsoft Certified IT Professional
Enterprise Messaging 2010
University of Phoenix
Bachelor of Science
Illinois Technology Association
Business Network Chicago
- Solid track record of successfully planning and implementing enterprise systems.
- Adept at leading teams in developing and deploying IT solutions.
- Experienced with a wide range of organizations, from SMB to Fortune 100 companies.
- Able to share 15 years of IT and management experience and skills with teams.
- Comprehensive technical background spanning dozens of platforms and technologies.
- Adaptable to client and company technology needs.
- Proven manager of full-time staff and consultant teams.
- Deliver projects on-time, under budget, and within specifications.
- Solutions-oriented strategist able to evaluate and select technologies that resolve business problems.
Further early career details are available on request.
Bringing together an entrepreneurial spirit deeply rooting in building and running business and a deep passion for technology, I’m a versatile IT executive leader with more than 15 years of experience developing and deploying best-in-class enterprise strategies and architectures. I’ve a proven history for driving business technology needs, architecting strategic plans, and departmental management in the technology space and a track record for delivering high quality work for my clients and employers. As a strong leader, I’m also able to define effective project roadmaps with clear milestones that allow team members to produce optimal deliverables in a collaborative environment. In addition, in my history as a CIO and a Service Delivery Manager, I’ve allocated and administered IT budgets, sales budgets and quota, purchasing, and procurement.
HBR CONSULTING, Chicago, IL o 2012-2013
Provide strategic consulting to law firm and legal industry clients, focusing on technology initiatives and implementation of information systems for end-users. Primary duties focused on project and program management, implementation planning, and strategic consulting on technology roadmaps. Deliver high-level insight to law firm management on upcoming trends in technology and the tools they need to continue being competitive in their industry segments.
- Coordinated application migration into a third-party hosted datacenter for Am Law 100 firm, complete with virtual disaster recovery option from Terremark.
- Develop globally distributed backup and recovery plan for an Am Law 75 firm, utilizing locations on four continents to ensure continuous availability no matter where an attorney was located.
- Strategic applications, infrastructure, and roadmap review for Am Law 250 firm looking to expand and stabilize Citrix XenApp environment for users.
- Create disaster recovery run book for Am Law 75 firm, including review of current DR capabilities and development of remediation list to meet desired recovery time and recovery point objectives.
COMPUSHARE, Lisle, IL o 2010-2012
Service Delivery Manager and Client Technology Officer
Directed strategic planning and execution for service delivery in the Midwest region, guided daily client service management, new client on-boarding, and new service turn-ups. Spearheaded a team of on-site engineers and remote technical support representatives providing comprehensive tiered service and support. Guided centralized Managed Services team in deploying and managing large-scale distributed monitoring and implementing patches for over 120 banking clients.
- Provided strategic direction for dozens of clients, serving as CIO and VP of IT to all fully outsourced clients in the region. Served on IT committees for banks.
- Coordinated integration of 42 managed services clients from acquisitions.
- Migrated clients into fully cloud-hosted environment powered by Compushare’s C3 platform, an industry first for the banking and finance industry.
- Elevated cross-region client satisfaction scores by more than 30%.
- Increased monthly incremental revenue from $55k to a consistent $94k.
- Cut average time for new service turn-up from 6 to 3 weeks, while reducing from 75 to 45 man-hours for average service deployment.
- Drastically lessened non-billable time through an enterprise-wide program that cut on-site non-billable time from 40% on average to under 5% of overall time.
- Shaved 15% off time required for remote delivery of managed services by establishing standardized operating procedures.
- Saved $15,000 in annual online training costs and $5,000 in annual in-person training reimbursements by replacing the existing provider with an in-house online training program.
- Completely eliminated voluntary turnover in the region, dropping from 45% to 0% turnover between 2010 and 2011. This trend continues into 2012.
- Guided successful integration of regional on-site support staff with remote support personnel in the Dallas Technology Management Center.
RIVERSIDE CONSULTING GROUP, Riverside, Illinois o 2005-2012
Chief Information Officer
Lead client engagements valued up to $1.5 million, including implementation projects for ERP systems, business intelligence applications, and the first Microsoft Hosting Program solution in the industry to leverage a consolidated server architecture. Manage hands-on data center and network administration, including allocating the budget toward initial roll-out, ongoing maintenance, and upgrades of hardware for managed services environment. Monitor uptime and performance for hosted services. Drive new business by nurturing client relationships. Liaise with independent contractors to procure additional services depending on client needs.
- Secured $15,000 in additional monthly revenue within 12 months of a project to develop a hosted services program for MS Exchange, MS Dynamics CRM, and MS Dynamics GP.
- Consistently delivered an average $90,000 in annual savings, drove ongoing recurring revenues, and ensured a 6-10 month ROI by transitioning clients from zero-profit internal ERP platforms to hosted platforms.
- Built relationships with client contacts and executives to facilitate launch of mission-critical ERP and CRM platforms.
Selected Clients for RCG:
Echo Global Logistics, Chicago, IL
Drove development of structured IT processes and architectures for a young company, with a focus on organizing and standardizing key business and systems operations. Coordinated project planning and execution for initiatives that expanded IT operations and systems needed for Echo to grow into a publicly-traded company with global clientele and more than 1,000 personnel.
- Consolidated production front-end systems from 22 physical servers to 5, which also reduced the power footprint and cooling requirements.
- Ensured compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements by leading external compliance consultants in addressing existing processes and systems.
- Introduced monitoring capabilities for 120 virtual servers and 90 physical servers in 8 national locations by launching Systems Center Operations Manager.
- Improved management and compliance for thousands of desktops and laptops enterprise-wide through deployment of System Center Configuration Manager.
- Standardized OS and application roll-out, including remote deployment processes, via SCCM and custom application packages.
- Facilitated communications by deploying a corporate messaging and remote web meeting system using Office Communications Server with LiveMeeting.
InnerWorkings, Inc., Chicago, IL
Led projects to implement, maintain, and upgrade key systems, networks, and solutions for 24 corporate sites worldwide. Established best practices and standards for issue handling, support operations, and performance management. Guided teams of contractors and internal staff in deploying new technologies and integrating the IT functions of acquired companies. Devised integration strategies targeting alignment of acquired systems with company operations. Drove business continuity and data recovery. Implemented crisis management procedures to prevent data loss and downtime.
- Circumvented millions in losses by launching the disaster recovery site.
- Reduced cutover time to the disaster recovery site from 3 days to 1 hour, saving $1.6 million per day of avoided downtime.
- Eliminated over $285,000 in annual costs. Migrated desktop and email for 5 acquired companies to the internal Active Directory domain.
- Automated Sarbanes-Oxley documentation, cutting over 700 hours of manual processing per year via a custom InfoPath Forms Services implementation.
- Lowered order management and EDI data submission time from 12 to 1 hours per month by reengineering primary EDI billing processes.